Kirkbean Church was closed for public services in November 2010.
It has now been sold and developed into a private dwelling house.
The nearest church is at Southwick. Times and information can be found on the FIND US page
Earliest indications of a Christian presence in Kirkbean come from the 12th century when the parish was under the patronage of the Benedictine Nuns at Lincluden. They maintained a vicarage at Kirkbean until the end of the 14th century.
In 1547 the church lands, glebe and manse were rented out to a Herbert Maxwell for £100 scots per year. This was an example of the misuse of a church parish that led to religious unrest in Scotland and the 1560 establishment of the reformed Church of Scotland.
The 'reider' at Kirkbeane in 1571 was John Clark. Readers were often former Catholic priests who read services on a sunday but were not allowed to baptise or celebrate communion. The Presbytery of Dumfries was established in 1581 and it was then that the parish of Kirkbean joined the Church of Scotland.
The present building was erected in 1776 which included the lower part of the tower. The upper tower was added in 1835. Towards the end of the 19th century the sanctuary was refurbished with Victorian church furnishings.
The graveyard contains the grave of John Paul Jones' father who had been a gardener at nearby Arbigland House.
More information about the graveyard may be found at War Graves.
Further details about the present church may be found at Sacred Scotland and at the Kirkbean Heritage Society website.