Sunday services at 11.30 a.m. followed by tea and coffee
The earliest evidence of a Christian presence in Colvend is a c. 1220 reference to 'Ricardo persona de Culewen' - 'Richard, parson of Colvend'. The medieval building was most likely to have been next to the present church. The next named vicar of Colvend we know of is Peter Milligan who was ordained in 1513. John Logane is named 'vicar of Coquhen' in 1529. It was then passed to his nephew Ninian Logan. A William Logan was vicar in 1562. The Church of Scotland was etablished in 1560 but in many rural parishes Catholic clergy continued in position for several years. The Presbytery of Dumfries was established in 1581 and it was then that the parishes of Colvend and Southwick joined the Church of Scotland.
The first 'reformed reader' was John Logan who held the position from 1567 - 1569. At this time the church building will probably have been of typical medieval construction being low roofed with boulder stone walls and an earthen floor. It was located near the front of the present church.
A new church was built in 1771 by the Rev. James Finnan. It stood in front of the present building. The 'date stone' from this building has been built into the stone dyke at the back door of the present church.
The present building was built during the Rev. James Chalmers' ministry and opened in 1911. Masonry from the previous building was used in the new.
Further details about the present church may be found at Sacred Scotland.
Information about the graveyard may be found at War Graves.